Re: [Xen-devel] physical network interfaces limitation

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] physical network interfaces limitation
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:54:04 +0000
Cc: Benzi Waisman <bwaisman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:54:59 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Benzi,

> Does someone know how to overcome the 4 physical network interfaces
> limitation? Is it a simple change in the open source code to allow more
> than 4 physical interfaces? Is this limitation comes from the XenSource
> admin utilities (which are not open source?  Are there any implications to
> this change?

This list is mainly for developers working on the Open Source release of the
Xen codebase.  For questions specifically about XenSource commercial products
you're likely to find more useful feedback at http://forums.xensource.com
which has sections dedicated to the commercial releases.

For questions about the open source Xen your best bet is to use the Users list
at xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regarding the limitation you describe.  In principle I believe you should be
able to use more than 4 physical NICs with Open Source Xen if you want to.
The domain 0 OS is just Linux (as it also is for XenEnterprise) and so it
should be able to handle arbitrary numbers of NICs just like Linux can.  Of
course, whether Linux is capable of using the full bandwidth of those NICs is
another question (and virtualising them adds some overhead of its own).  But
yes, in principle you should be able to get Open Source Xen to do that.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!