[Xen-devel] xenoprof with 2.6.9 kernel - "timer mode" problem

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] xenoprof with 2.6.9 kernel - "timer mode" problem
From: "jowkju" <jowkju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:36:25 +0900
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:00:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello, xen users,

I installed XenServer-v3.2.0 on my Dell PowerEdge 6850 and compiled dom0 kernel with oprofile support enabled.

I also made a guest VM –Centos 4.5 with kernel 2.6.9 through “p2v”.  And then I newly compiled the guest VM kernel

with “oprofile support enabled” using the following source RPM for xenoprof test

kernel-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL.xs3.2.0.284.src.rpm

During compiling the kernel, the xen.patch file doesn’t activate the “profiling support” when X86_XEN is enabled. So I fixed it

to enable “profiling support” even though it sets X86_XEN.

-----

Just remove the “!” on the following code

>> xen.patch

arch/i386/Kconfig

274 +if !X86_XEN

    275  source "arch/i386/oprofile/Kconfig"

    276 +endif

----

And then I try to use oprofile on both dom0 kernel and domU kernel. But when I start a profiling daemon on the

domU kernel with the event “GLOBAL_POWER_EVENT”, the messages said,

You cannot specify any performance counter events

because OProfile is in timer mode.

How can I get solved this problem? Is there anybody who let me know how to enter the event counter mode

instead of timer mode??

Thank you!!