RE: [Xen-devel] hvm iret [also xen interrupt handling deltails]

To: "Ashish Bijlani" <ashish.bijlani@xxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] hvm iret [also xen interrupt handling deltails]
From: "Cui, Dexuan" <dexuan.cui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:39:57 +0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:41:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Usually no trap to Xen. The execution of guest OS is just restored to where it
was interrupted --  however, if there is pending vINTR/vNMI, and no vINTR/vNMI
blocking any longer and Xen set some VIRTUAL_INTR/NMI_PENDING, certain kinds of
VMexits can occur before guest continues to run, allowing Xen to inject the
pending events in time.

> would it _always_ trap to xen in  paravirtualized environment ( i.e. no
> hardware assisted virtualization)?
> also, i understand that when a physical interrupt comes, xen sets bits in
> some event bitmask to inject events (or virtual interrupts) into
> guest VMs, but when does xen send EOI to the IOAPIC? does it send after all
> the guest VMs have executed their ISRs or does it send
> immediately upon receiving a physical interrupt? thanks again.
Sorry, I'm not very sure about everything for the case of para-guest.
For HVM guest in Xen (here we don't consider VT-d), no physical devices are
owned by HVM guest at all. The devices HVM guest sees are all emulated by the
Qemu process in Dom0 -- from this perspective,  we don't care when/how Xen
sends physical EOI to physical IOAPIC.

-- Dexuan