Re: [Xen-devel] Reduce CPU Utilization make Network Perfromance better??

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Reduce CPU Utilization make Network Perfromance better??
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 04:22:29 +0100
Cc: Brian Fang <m9429015@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:23:13 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I don't know if the guess condition is wright.
> But I still not figure out how the improvement benefit network throughput.
> Is it because lower CPU utilization higher packet process rate??

Presumably because the CPU processing required to interact with the network
can becomes a bottleneck; therefore improving the CPU efficiency should
increase the throughput.  It's been a long time since I read that paper, but
when we did the first driver domains benchmarks in 2004 we were burning up a
significant fraction of the CPU bandwidth of a 2-way Xeon in order to achieve
line rate on gigabit ethernet.

Also, improving the CPU utilisation encountered in the course of network
processing should make more CPU time available to other work, which would be
good.

> Why not show network throught directly??

Presumably in the case of this paper the goal was to illustrate the kind of
measurements that Xenoprof can make and the improvements in those
measurements that can be achieved with targetted modifications to the
codebase.

I agree it would have been interesting to see what effects on the network
throughput were but I guess these would vary between different machines and
network loads in any case.

Just my two cents ;-)

Cheers,
Mark