[Xen-devel] Re: Coredumps and 'crash' utility...

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Coredumps and 'crash' utility...
From: Dave Anderson <anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 08:59:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 05:55:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm using XenSource 4.0 and have the need to debug the
XenSource-provided hypervisor's coredump file produce at /proc/vmcore.
I tried using Anderson's "crash" utility to read that file but I'm
getting the following error:

crash ./vmlinuz /dom0/proc/vmcore

crash 4.0-4.7
Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007  Red Hat, Inc.
Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006  IBM Corporation
Copyright (C) 1999-2006  Hewlett-Packard Co
Copyright (C) 2005, 2006  Fujitsu Limited
Copyright (C) 2006, 2007  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K.
Copyright (C) 2005  NEC Corporation
Copyright (C) 1999, 2002, 2007  Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public
License,
and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
certain conditions.  Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
This program has absolutely no warranty.  Enter "help warranty" for
details.

crash: /dom0/proc/vmcore: not a supported file format

I examined the core file and this is what it says its type is.

#file /dom0/proc/vmcore
/dom0/proc/vmcore: ELF 64-bit LSB core file AMD x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), SVR4-style

1) Has anyone been able to use 'crash' with XenSource's kernels?
2) What is the right vmcore file format for an open-source Xen?  Can
someone show me the output of 'file' on their vmcore so I can compare?

First, you won't get anywhere with the vmlinuz file; you must
use the kernel's vmlinux file, which must have been built with -g.

I don't test current XenSource kernels, but I don't know of any
recent changes from the Red Hat version that would break things.

A "readelf -a vmcore" would be more useful than a file output.
And what is the host machine that you are attempting the crash
session on?  One reason for the "not a supported file format"
would be if you attempt to run an x86 crash executable with
an x86_64 vmlinux/vmcore or vice-versa.

Also, it will probably be more useful to join and take this
up on the crash-utility mailing list:

Dave Anderson