Re: [Xen-devel] Confused about start of day setup

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Confused about start of day setup
From: Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:07:49 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 03:08:28 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 25/9/07 09:55, "Goswin von Brederlow"
> <brederlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I think you ment readelf -l and no. MemSize says 1200f0 and then
>> 121000 is the next page.
>>
>> But it is not something I did wrong. The Mini-OS example kernel is
>> already broken in this way:
>
> Some versions of ld get the MemSize wrong when there are alignment
> constraints specified in the linker script. I'm using ld 2.15 and it appears
> to get this right. Which version are you using?
>
> The alignment constraints in minios's x86/64 linker script look pointless,
> as they add padding for sections that are not actually used. I can fix that.
>
>  -- Keir

I'm using etch so:
GNU ld version 2.17 Debian GNU/Linux

If you work on Mini-OS note that 3.0.4 works but 3.1 fails for
me. Do you see the same or is that a side effect of the wrong MemSize?

I commented out the align statements and that seems to do the
trick. Not ideal but it is ok for now. Thanks. I would have never
found that fix.

MfG
        Goswin