Re: [Xen-devel] Hiding pci devices from dom0 drivers

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Hiding pci devices from dom0 drivers
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:13:17 +0100
Cc: "You, Yongkang" <yongkang.you@xxxxxxxxx>, "Han, Weidong" <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 01:13:57 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 08:27 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 24/9/07 08:10, "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Currently we had to manually make the following change in linux config
> > before building dom0 kernel to enable pciback.hide functionality in
> > dom0.
> >
> > -CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=m
> > +CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=y
> >
> > What do you think about having this change check into your tree so that
> > we can get rid of this manual step?  If you are ok with it, we can send
> > you a patch for it.
>
> It's already '=y' in the -xen0 kernel. -xen is a modular kernel config to
> keep the base kernel a reasonable size. PCI device hiding is still an
> esoteric option that most users will not use.

You can also get the same effect as pciback.hide entirely from
userspace:

        # cat pciback

        #!/bin/sh

        if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
           echo "Require a PCI device as parameter"
           exit 1
        fi

        for pcidev in $@ ; do
            if [ -h /sys/bus/pci/devices/"$pcidev"/driver ] ; then

                echo "Unbinding $pcidev from" $(basename $(readlink
/sys/bus/pci/devices/"$pcidev"/driver))
                echo -n "$pcidev" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/"$pcidev"/driver/unbind
            fi
            echo "Binding $pcidev to pciback"
            echo -n "$pcidev" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
            echo -n "$pcidev" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind
        done