Re: [Xen-devel] Our pvSCSI split driver worked well on NPIV environment

To: Jun Kamada <kama@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Our pvSCSI split driver worked well on NPIV environment
From: Aaron Dailey <Aaron.Dailey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:20:47 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:21:28 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kamada-san and all,

We're also working on an NPIV driver for Solaris xVM (see
http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9778296-39.html for what xVM means).

I've looked at the pvSCSI split driver, and I think it's valuable for
both NPIV FibreChannel and standard SCSI environments. Especially with
NPIV though it will become valuable because we can dedicate one virtual
HBA to a DOMU, and use those devices as SCSI devices.

I see it as especially valuable for tape, but also for non standard SCSI
devices. Also some users may want to use it for disk instead of using
the block driver. For example, in Solaris, we can control write cache on
disk drives differently depending on SCSI status, information which
would be unavailable via block interface.

Regards,

Aaron