Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: 0/10: Merge xenfb & xenconsoled into qemu-dm

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: 0/10: Merge xenfb & xenconsoled into qemu-dm
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:34:15 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:34:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 01:54:04PM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 16/8/07 13:49, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Are these patches intended to be applied now, or are they RFC?
> >
> > They could be applied now, but was expecting people might have some feedback
> > /recommendations for changes - Christian normally has lots of good comments
> > for QEMU related stuff. So if I have to do another revision of the patches
> > I'm fine with it.
>
> My own feeling is that the xenfb merge is very sensible, but I don't see
> much of a win from merging xenconsoled, and the downside is that you then
> need a qemu-dm instance for every PV guest. I think that requiring qemu-dm
> for more 'featureful' PV guests -- framebuffer, USB, etc -- is well and
> good, but someone who is running more minimal domU configurations --
> console, net, block -- isn't going to want or welcome the rather unnecessary
> per-domU overhead of qemu-dm.

Yep, I can see that would be useful for some folks working in constrained
environments. Of course they probably don't want the XenD overhead either,
but that's a can of worms I won't get into right now ;-)

Thinking about this, I think I can easily re-work the last two patches so
that xenconsoled will continue to process the guest consoles, if-and-only-if
the guest doesn't have a QEMU instance already doing it. That would give us
choice between both deployment scenarios per-guest.

Regards,
Dan.