[Xen-devel] Question on xen system time

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Question on xen system time
From: "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 23:22:09 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:19:49 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In Xen x86 system time implementation (xen/arch/x86/time.c), there are
Per-CPU local system times and one global platform system time. local
system time is calibrated by TSC, and platform system time is calibrated
by platform timer (PIT/HPET/cyclone).

My question is: is it possible not using TSC to calibrate local system
time, or even not using local system time, and using platform system
time instead? the rationale here is that: TSC is not reliable in some
cases. For example, in some old CPU, TSC frequency will change when CPU
frequency changes (in low power P state). TSC will even stop when CPU
enter deep C state. Linux actually choose not using TSC when CPU enter
deeper C state. I just wonder if it is possible in Xen.

Best Regards
Yu Ke