Re: [Xen-devel] Will xen support MIPS?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Will xen support MIPS?
From: Sunil Amitkumar Janki <devel.sjanki@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:43:40 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:45:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As the original poster asked before I would want to know
the same thing, i.e. if Xensource or some other company
is planning to port Xen to MIPS.

Though I am probably not in a position to contribute much
to Xen development (I would like to but I feel I have a lot
to learn first) I have ported Slackware to the Loongson 2E
processor and Debian and Gentoo run on it as well.

For the moment this is on the Lemote Fu Long desktop
computer containing a single processor at 700 MHz, but the
next version (Loongson 2F), due in a few months, will be
running at 1 to 1.2 GHz.

Loongson 3, due late 2008, will be a huge step up containing
16 cores, so very server-worthy. These processors will be used
in systems from e.g. Dawning for server, workstation and
supercomputer applications.

Aside from this very promising MIPS implementation there
are nowadays processors from Cavium Networks and Raza
Microelectronics that also contain many cores at 1 GHz speeds
and they are contained in systems from e.g. Movidis.

From this perspective a Xen MIPS port would absolutely be
very welcome, since it is or has become an architecture that
is just as useful and powerful as x86, Power, Sparc and IA64.

I also briefly spoke with Anil Madhavapeddy at Linuxworld
NL in October 2006 on the multi-platform nature of Xen so
it shouldn't be that hard to do. I might have to dive in and
start to understand the Xen architecture myself but I'd
prefer that someone more knowledgeable started an effort.

Kind regards,
Sunil Amitkumar Janki