Re: [Xen-devel] Netback & NetFront Driver

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Netback & NetFront Driver
From: Mats Petersson <mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:28:20 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 09:45:24 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 06:31 09/07/2007, TEJ wrote:
On 7/8/07, Mats Petersson <mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 16:12 08/07/2007, TEJ wrote:
>On 7/8/07, TEJ <tejparkash.d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > That is correct - the packet is sent by netfront (acting on behalf of
>> > "eth%d" in DomU) to netback.

>> > The netback receives the packet from the frontend driver, and passes
>> > it to the listener for "vif%d.%d". This ends up in the bridge (or
>> > route) component, which forwards the packet to the correct hardware
>> > port. This part is no different from the normal bridge/route
>> > behaviour (taking a network packet on one device and sending it out
>> > on the other device, e.g. linking eth0 to eth1 - of course, when
>> > doing this, usually there are rules about which packets go where,
>> > e.g. for routing, you only send packets intended for the other
>> > network across).
>
>just i am curious to know that why it there is like IP forwarding and
>MAC forwarding. because as i understand, MAC forwarding is sufficient
>to forward the packet. and it is performance hit if the IP forwarding
>is implemented in the DOMU.
>
>Can you give a link to the page saying this - or some other
>reference to what you're on about, since I don't quite know what you
>mean (and I may not be able to answer the question, but with a link
>I may understand it better and determine if I actually do know how
>it works or not).

hi Mat sorry for this crap... the document which i am referring is

http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/br_fw_ia/br_fw_ia.html

in this there is one paragraph written as

When the bridge code and netfilter is enabled in the kernel, the
iptables chains are also attached onto the hooks of the bridging code.
However, this does not mean that they are no longer attached onto
their standard IP code hooks. For IP packets that get into contact
with the bridging code, the bridge-nf code will decide in which place
in the network code the iptables chains will be traversed. Obviously,
it is guaranteed that no chain is traversed twice by the same packet.
All packets that do not come into contact with the bridge code
traverse the iptables chains in the standard way.
it made me bit confused about the bridging part.

thanks for ur reply

I must confess that this didn't clarify much to me with regards to your previous question.

Does this mean that you no longer have a question about bridging and how it works in Xen? If so, happy to help. If not, can you please rephrase the question so that we can figure out an answer (I personally isn't an expert on IP routing/bridging - I know enough to understand that I DON'T know nearly enough about it [is that a sensible sentence?], but that's about it - I just use it in Xen with it's standard default setup and let someone else worry about the more complex configurations).

--
Mats

TEJ

--