[Xen-devel] Stimulating domains to send gratuitous ARPs

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Stimulating domains to send gratuitous ARPs
From: "Graham, Simon" <Simon.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 14:41:12 -0400
Cc: "Graham, Simon" <Simon.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:39:10 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Currently, netfront will send a gratuitous ARP when resumed at the end of a live migration/resume op. However, there are other situations when it is necessary to send a gratuitous ARP; one good example is when you bond NICs in Dom0 for availability and plug the bond into the bridge; in this case, when a failover from primary to backup NIC occurs, you need to send ARPs for all the domains VIFs on the backup link to get traffic routed correctly.

Now, there are a number of ways of doing this (including using ebtables in Dom0 to track IP-MAC address translations) but it seems to me that the simplest would be to have a way to poke the netfront driver to send an ARP on demand (especially given that fact that it already needs/has this functionality).

I’ve prototyped something fairly simple & gross based on having netfront setup a xenstore watch on a leaf in the domains vif directory in xenstore (that is, device/vif/send_arp); when the watch fires, all netfront instances send the fake ARP just like they do at the end of migration/resume. All you need to do from dom0 then is modify the leaf with xenstore-write/xenstore-rm.

I accept that this is not very nice and we should probably have a more organized/documented way to do this but I’m not sure what would be appropriate; any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon