Re: [Xen-devel] feature request - prevent user stupidity (eg mine)

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] feature request - prevent user stupidity (eg mine)
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 02:36:17 +0100
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Masaki Kanno <kanno.masaki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:34:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Looks like the hotplug scripts do contain the checking logic, and it does
> > check each device at a time, but it explicitly ignores if the same VM
> > already has access to a device.  Maybe checking for duplicate exports
> > here would be too racey, since I guess the hotplug scripts are not run in
> > any particular order...
>
> Well duplicate devices in the same VM could be fairly easily checked by
> XenD itself before it gets anywhere near creating the VM or doing device
> hotplug.

Kan's patch does this for initial domain creation and could easily be extend
to cover adding devices (thinking about it, it may do already but I'd have to
check the Xend internets), and is fine as far as it goes.

It just doesn't seem clean to have the device safety logic in Xend *and* in
the hotplug script.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.