Re: [Xen-devel] Version Detection

To: Quang Ngo <quang4ngo@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Version Detection
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:15:38 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:13:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 19/6/07 16:47, "Quang Ngo" <quang4ngo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for your response.  It would be nice if there is some sort of version info in the XEN vmlinuz image.  Regular vmlinuz has signature at offset 0x202 ("HdrS") and kernel info at an offset (specified at 0x20e) + 0x200.

Also, I wish there is version info in /proc/xen.

If you find a way to find version info for a XEN vmlinuz image please let me know.

We could add something quite easily for Xen itself, although bear in mind that both xen-syms and xen.gz are Elf files, so putting info at a fixed offset won’t work. We could put the info at a fixed offset into the text segment (e.g., immediately before or after the multiboot header).

Doing the same for vmlinux files is a bit tricky. There are lots of Xen repositories maintained independently now, and getting everyone to agree on versioning information would likely be tricky. And soon enough Xen support will be in mainline, and discussions on image format and boot protocol are still in progress there.

 -- Keir