Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Use name instead of pid in QEMU logs

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Use name instead of pid in QEMU logs
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:44:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:43:09 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> This causes just as much pain for support purposes as the original naming
> based on PID.  Now when a user reports problems with domain 'foo' crashing,
> instead of just asking them to send /var/log/xen/qemu-foo.log we're back to
> having users to dig around in /var/log/xen/xend.log to try and figure out
> what domain ID their guest was running with before it crashed and then
> find the qemu-[DOMAIN ID].log file that matches.

+1 to that

> As for overwriting the log file with a domain autorestart after a crash,
> the logfile ought to be opened in append mode (w+ instead of w) - logrotate
> scripts can handle cleanup of logfiles

Or just rename on restart e.g. mydomain.log -> mydomain.log.old or
mydomain.log.1 etc.

> I am happy to submit further patches to validate domain names in XenD and
> switch to opening the file in append mode, if changeset 15219 were to be
> reverted.

I think this is a better solution for users, plus I'd find it handy during
debugging.  Sure, I'm more than qualified to poke in the xend.log file to
figure out the domain ID, but it'd be nice to not need to bother.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!