Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 auto-translate mmap()

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 auto-translate mmap()
From: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:50:15 -0500
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ppc-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:48:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 17:57 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:

> On 11/6/07 17:51, "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> The net is that I would like to remove the above test. I wonder why it
> >> was added in the first place? Somebody has a privileged autotranslate
> >> domain and mistakenly tried to run the domain building tools?
> >
> > Interesting. How does this work for ia64 currently? I think ia64 always runs
> > in auto-translate mode.
>
> Oh, I see they have their own mmap function. Yes, I think the test can
> safely be removed.

Hmm, the ia64 privcmd_mmap() is certainly interesting. It is another
approach to the same problem: they explicitly pre-register some of the
gpfn space to the appropriate mfn space.

Long-term, that's probably a better approach, since it only hijacks gpfn
space as needed, rather than halving the physical address space. For the
moment though, it also looks like a fair amount of more code... :)

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center