RE: [Xen-devel] help to understand is_running _on_xen ?

To: "Gautham Kampalapur Shankar, TLS, Chennai" <gauthamk@xxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] help to understand is_running _on_xen ?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 17:15:11 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:13:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you search for "is_running_on_xen" in the Linux tree, you'll find
that the x86 definition of this is "1" - so any test for this,
currently, means that it's "true". IA64 is different, at least in the
exact implementation.

I can't explain this in any othe way than that the plan is to allow for
drivers to check if they are running on a native platform or running on
top of Xen, and make decisions (such as "not attempt to make
hypercalls") based on which case it is - so if we're not running on Xen,
don't make hypercalls to Xen, because it wont work!

--
Mats