RE: [Xen-devel] X11_EnterFullScreen fails

To: "Jayant Mangalampalli" <Jayant_Mangalampalli@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] X11_EnterFullScreen fails
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:30:44 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:34:05 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, I don't really know the answer. But I used to work on Windows
graphics drivers, and I know that sometimes switching the display mode
will incur a BIOS call (I never quite understood when this was and when
it wouldn't happen - I think it depends on several things, including the
driver-code itself which may support some modes and say "I don't care
about supporting this mode" - at which point the OS would call the
BIOS[1] code to attempt it that way). Non-full-screen mode doesn't
require BIOS calls, for the obvious reason that the graphics mode isn't
being changed then - full-screen mode may well switch from the current
display mode to a different display-mode even if it's the same
resolution, e.g. 16bits per pixel or 8 bits per pixel, just as an
example.

Also, is the SDL screen in text or graphical mode when you switch to
full-screen? If it's in text-mode, then it's 99% sure that the BIOS is
involved.

I'm not saying this IS what happens, just that it's something to
investigate.

You may be able to capture more of the trace-back if you use serial
console either from Linux or the hypervisor, and if it's hypervisor that
crashes [and you don't use serial console] you may get more info by
"noreboot" on the "xen" line in your grub.conf (or similar).

[1] BIOS = VGA-BIOS, not the "start my PC BIOS".

--
Mats