Re: [Xen-devel] Is patches/linux-2.6.18/xen-hotplug.patch still necessar

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Is patches/linux-2.6.18/xen-hotplug.patch still necessary?
From: "Dave Lively" <dave.lively@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:52:05 -0400
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 May 2007 06:50:29 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=No//YdDLSczpRBUBBp6DPMdR6p6kYNtek7KtCaSIORNcSSOs+hI9c66s8ai7nGHm2WDcjLBUarNGBkEhshrEHrLMH6MYpFl6yZoDDz67HTvGHgx1OKY4K8MArYD/k+UwmIbrld6FlygNlFlOVuasA5fxO0aNwKG3go75MZpAB0s=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I made 'top' deal with CPU hotplug a couple years ago, and submitted
the changes to the 'procps' maintainers, who never got back to me.
I've given the patch to a number of external folks (in particular,
some from the OSDL hotplug SIG), so it may have found its way into
some versions of 'top'.  In any case, I'll try to track down the
current status and dig up those patches Real Soon Now.

Dave Lively
Virtual Iron

On 5/9/07, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/5/07 23:26, "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx> wrote:

>    Is the patch below, that's currently in the Xen tree, still
> necessary?  The original commit comment indicates this is so things like
> 'top' don't get upset during CPU hotplugs.  But should that be handled
> by the hotplug infrastructure in the kernel (or top itself)?

It has to be handled in top itself. With some versions at least it was the
case that top would crash when CPUs where hot-unplugged. If you revert that
patch, does your version of top work okay in the hot-unplug case (you have
to run top across the unplug operation to see if it will crash or not)?

 -- Keir