RE: [Xen-devel] DomU-DomU Event Channel

To: "Liang Yang" <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Koripella Srinivas" <talkwithsrinivas@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] DomU-DomU Event Channel
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 18:55:53 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:54:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Short answer: No.

Long answer:
The definition of "driver domain" (at least as used here) is a domain
that has acces directly to the actual hardware, and thus can act as a
back-end for another domain with frontend drivers. There is normally no
communication between Dom0 and a driver-domain, certainly not in the
context of accessing the hardware assigned to the driver-domain, but
there can (usually is) some communication where the driver-domain uses
Dom0 to communicate to hardware that it itself doesn't own.

For example, if we give a network card (but no other hardware devices)
to a DomU (name this "NetDomU"), and assign another DomU "UseDomU" to
use the network hardware in "NetDomU" via the normal BE/FE driver pair.
NetDomU can still not access the HARD-DISK, since it's not been given
access to any hard-disk controller. So if NetDomU is reading/writing to
a file for some reason, it communicates with Dom0 to do this.

UseDomU will probably also use Dom0 to do disk-io, but the network
traffic (at least on some interface) doesn't pass Dom0, only NetDomU.

I hope this clarfies things.

--
Mats