Re: [Xen-devel] xen_create_contiguous_region - Regarding

To: Jambunathan K <jambunathan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen_create_contiguous_region - Regarding
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:17:07 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sanjeev@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 02:16:05 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/4/07 07:25, "Jambunathan K" <jambunathan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> xen_create_contiguous_region (as in Xen-3.0.4) can be instructed to make
> 2 kinds of allocations - from either MEMZONE_DOM or MEMZONE_DMADOM. Two
> zones are delineated by max_dma_mfn as dictated by dma_size.
>
> A "MEMF_dma" request to __alloc_domheap_pages is assured to be satisfied
> from the MEMZONE_DMADOM.
>
> The role of address_bits apparently stops at discreetly choosing between
> one of the above 2 zones.

This is an implementation detail inside the hypervisor. The fact that Xen
3.0.4 actually doesn't track each separate bit-width of memory separately
should not affect your use of the guest memory-allocation interfaces. The
fact that when you try to allocate 35-bit memory you actually are limited to
31-bit memory is simply a limitation you'll have to work with for 3.0.4. Xen
3.0.5 will not have this limitation.

 -- Keir