[Xen-devel] question about gpfn and gmfn

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] question about gpfn and gmfn
From: tgh <tianguanhua@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:37:58 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 06:36:40 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi
I try to understand the code of xen memory ,and I am confused about gmfn, gpfn and pfn in the xen and in the /xen/include/xen/mm.h there are some explanation about them as follows:

* 1. gpfn/gpaddr: A guest-specific pseudo-physical frame number or address.
* 2. gmfn/gmaddr: A machine address from the p.o.v. of a particular guest.
* 3. mfn/maddr:   A real machine frame number or address.
* 4. pfn/paddr:   Used in 'polymorphic' functions that work across all
*                 address spaces, depending on context. See the pagetable
*                 conversion macros in asm-x86/page.h for examples.
* Also 'paddr_t' is big enough to store any physical address.
*

last week,I thought I understood the meaning about the gpfn and gmfn,but when I reread it ,I find I do not I usually think the gpfn/gpaddr is just the gmfn ,that is, guest-specific pseudo-physical frame number is just machine address from the p.o.v. of a particular guest

I am confused about why does guest-specific pseudo-physical frame number not equal to machine address from the p.o.v. of a particular guest?

could you help me
Thanks in advance