RE: [Xen-devel] Odd CPU Scheduling Behavior

To: "Emmanuel Ackaouy" <ackaouy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Odd CPU Scheduling Behavior
From: "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:04:39 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:03:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>The physical CPUs are at 100% and the VCPUs don't move around at all during
>your tests?
Correct. When the tests are not running but the VMs are started and idle,
xenmon shows that CPU0 and CPU1 are used by dom0 as expected, and that CPU2 is
being shared about 50/50 by vm1 and vm2, and that CPU3 is being shared about
50/50 by vm1 and vm2. Once we start the tests however, CPU2 shows it is being
used 100% by vm1 and CPU3 is being used 100% of the time by vm2

>You said you were using cpumasks to force all of your VCPUs on 2 given
>physical CPUs anyway
>so I'm not sure I understand the difference between booting up with 4 sockets
>or 2...
Agreed - the difference is that when we boot up with 4 sockets, we see the
behavior described above. When we boot up with 2 sockets, CPU2 and CPU3 both
show vm1 and vm2 scheduled 50/50 even when the tests are run.

brian carb
unisys corporation - malvern, pa
brian.carb@xxxxxxxxxx