Re: [Xen-devel] Xen --> Guest

To: Security Initiative Team <passrete@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen --> Guest
From: Daniel Stodden <dns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:25:28 +0100
Cc: Xen Developers <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 02:34:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi.

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 18:02 -0700, Security Initiative Team wrote:
> What's the easiest way to send 1-bit of information from
> Xen to a guest domain?

depends on your definition of easy.

easy to implement is a UDP packet. socket(), connect(), write().

if overhead matters, take shared memory. this takes a page of memory,
unless you are able to reuse pars of the shared data already being in
place. it may not be the cleanest or portable approach.

if latency matters, you need an event channel to notify upon
transmission.

> The event channel mechanism seems fairly complicated.

but it's a necessity if the data has to be transmitted asynchronously.

regards,
daniel

--

dns@xxxxxxxxxxxx