RE: [Xen-devel] HVM hypercalls, hvm_hypercall_table

To: "George Surka" <gsurka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] HVM hypercalls, hvm_hypercall_table
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:38:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:38:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The purpose of the hvm_hypercall_table is to support para-virtual
drivers.

You should (generally speaking) not be making other hypercalls from a
fully-virtualized (HVM) domain, as those are potentially not safe. Is
ther a particular hypercall you're after, or is this a generic question
as to why this is?

> So, how do I do the other hypercalls (beyond those 6) from
> HVM domain? Do I just have to use INT 0x82 trap without using
> the hypercall-page (without using the HYPERVISOR_* hypercall
> macros in hypercall.h)?

No, you can't make any other hypercalls from fully virtualized domains.

If you need further hypercalls, it may be possible to add further
hypercalls, but I don't believe that a "wholesale" implementation of all
hypercalls available to para-virtual Xen will make sense (and in some
cases would be potentials for crashing the guest and/or hypervisor), so
selective implementation is the key here.

[Many of the hypercalls are implemented to overcome the same problems
that the hardware solves in fully virtualized domains, so duplicating
the solution doesn't actually help anything - just adds more code!]

--
Mats