Re: [Xen-devel] 3w-xxxx module problems with Xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 3w-xxxx module problems with Xen
From: Alex Malinovich <demonbane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 03:59:11 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 03:58:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 09:38 +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 13/3/07 07:37, "Alex Malinovich" <demonbane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > However, when trying to boot into Xen (as dom0), I get the following
> > error at boot time:
> >
> > 3w-xxxx: Failed to get io address.
>
> Can you boot off a different disc and then send dmesg boot output, and
> result of 'lspci -vvv'? The same outputs from a native boot would also be
> useful for comparison.

Attached are the dmesg and lspci -vvv outputs from two different boots.
The first is my native AMD64 system booting to the RAID root partition
using kernel 2.6.18. (files: dmesg-amd64-native and lspci-amd64-native)

The second is the same machine booting to a different partition on a
stand-alone SATA drive. Unfortunately, that particular install is i386
and not AMD64, though it is still kernel 2.6.18. (files: lspci-i386-xen
and dmesg-i386-xen)

I can confirm that when booting to the AMD64 Xen kernel I get the same
errors that you see on the i386 boot log, I just can't save them since I
have no disk to boot to.

As part of the dmesg output on this kernel, you'll see at the bottom of
the output what happens when I try to modprobe -r the 3w-xxxx module
from the running kernel.

Incidentally, this also means that every time I boot into a kernel
having that module problem, I have to use Alt+SysRq+B to reboot the
system, as everything else fails while unloading modules (and so never
completes the shutdown process).

If you need any more info please let me know.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837