Re: [Xen-devel] periodic tasks in Xen

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] periodic tasks in Xen
From: "Diwaker Gupta" <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:50:25 -0800
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:49:28 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=EuYdU2gBOYb2I1ktZ3poeSo7zJ0InPOQ7oQFfLn6SzqhZkXHWGGn4t1fguRW/EcEV1TMPy22n4EagStdnEcRAkUI6Uv8u1anXL03M+LB4vD3IC7Kcj0oIaCNj5f+zG4+HPXoVUyeyH6XDnmAzZ3lywiVDMcWgO1OFf1tuVLxsaA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Keir. One more question: it seems that the timer is invoked via
softirq, which runs in the context of the domain which was executing
when the IRQ was raied. Now my timer function sometimes pauses certain
domains, and if it pauses the domain in whose context the IRQ was
invoked, this causes problems. Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks,
Diwaker

On 3/6/07, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/3/07 19:01, "Diwaker Gupta" <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Whats the recommended way of executing periodic tasks in Xen? I can
> stick stuff in the scheduler loop, but if there's a neater way of
> doing this I'd prefer that. I think I should be able to write a
> function, and have Xen invoke it periodically (via a timer interrupt
> or some other event?) but I'm not sure about the details. Thoughts?

Run it off a timer. See xen/timer.h

> Also, is there any way of delegating such a periodic task within Xen
> to a specific core/processor in the system?

Xen timers are explicitly bound to a particular core when they are
initialised.

 -- Keir

--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net/blog