Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] Added some more fields

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] Added some more fields to host_cpu.
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:55:07 -0700
Cc: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:54:22 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 20:46 +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 2/3/07 20:39, "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >   On ia64, dom0 doesn't automatically get vcpus for each physical cpu,
> > so the first problem is that we're not going to have a /proc/cpuinfo
> > entry for every cpu in self.cpus.keys.  I think it's likely x86 could
> > run into this problem too if a cpu was hotplugged or booted with the
> > dom0_max_vcpus options.
>
> We have indeed hit this problem and I put a patch in this afternoon to
> duplicate cpu0's info for any non-existent cpu. Given that the dom0 cpus
> could be migrating around on arbitrary physical cpus (even across the
> multiple CPUID invocations that the kernel will have made to build the
> information for a single 'cpu' in /proc!) this is fine -- x86 multiprocessor
> systems are supposed to be symmetric (homogeneous CPUs down to the same
> stepping in some cases) anyway.

   Cool, I see it in staging.  This is the approach I used to work
around the problem temporarily, but what happens if cpu0 is hot
un-plugged?  ISTR x86 Linux doesn't support cpu0 hotplug, but on ia64 we
can hotplug cpu0.  I'd guess powerpc could too.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.