[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 12/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: Fix patch site clobbers

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 12/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: Fix patch site clobbers to include return register
From: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:18:11 -0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:17:25 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Zachary Amsden wrote:
Things like what?  Do you mean the %[foo] asm parameter syntax?  I think
those versions are no longer supported - Arjan posted a patch a few days
ago to convert a pile of asms to this form.  Or do you mean something
else?
I meant having an output in the clobber list,

There's no output in the clobber list, just "memory" and "cc".  The
paravirt_clobber() is the stuff which gets put in the .parainstructions
section which tells the patcher what registers are expected to be
modified at that callsite (including both temp and output registers).

Ah, ok. I didn't think gcc had grown the appropriate antlers yet to allow outputs in the clobber list. But the paravirt-clobbers, yes that makes sense.

Zach