[Xen-devel] send_fake_arp lost during live migration

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] send_fake_arp lost during live migration
From: Cristian Zamfir <zamf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:07:27 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 06:06:25 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I think that the ARP broadcast sent by send_fake_arp in netfront.c gets lost during live migration even though it is called during migration in backend_changed(). Therefore, the outage is aroung 2s instead of tens of ms as expected.

I am able to see in tcpdump the ARP broadcast when domU boots, but not when it is live migrated.

I have also noticed a strange behaviour or arping. When I arping any host from domU it stops after sending and receiving the first probe.

I am using xen 3.0.3 and this is my network setup:

vif = ['mac=00:16:3E:F6:BB:01']
dhcp="off"
ip="130.209.253.132"
netmask="255.255.240.0"