Re: [Xen-devel] Live migration fails under heavy network use

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Live migration fails under heavy network use
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:00:47 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:00:03 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 20/2/07 22:38, "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> These guests are using rx-flip rather than rx-copy, right?
> This has certainly worked reliably in the past (e.g. 3.0.3), but is now
> getting little testing as current guests use rx-copy by default.
>
> The freeing in-use page messages may be unrelated to the actual problem
> -- AFAIK that's a relatively new printk that could occur benignly during
> a live migrate of an rx-flip guest.
>
> Even get_page can fail benignly under certain circumstances during a
> live migrate. It's worth finding out where the actual error in
> xc_linux_save is.

Also, apart from the fact that save/restore *should* still work with
old-style netfront, there are other legitimate reasons for pages to
disappear from a guest's allocation (e.g., running the balloon driver during
save/restore). It might be worth seeing if you can provoke similar xc_save
errors under balloon load.

 -- Keir