[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 00/21] Xen-paravirt: Xen guest implementation for

To: Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 00/21] Xen-paravirt: Xen guest implementation for paravirt_ops interface
From: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:04:52 -0800
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:04:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph Lameter wrote:
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

This patch series implements the Linux Xen guest in terms of the
paravirt-ops interface.  The features in implemented this patch series

I am thoroughly confused. Maybe that is because I have not been following this issue closely but it seems that you are using the paravirt interface as an API for Xen code in the guest? I thought the idea of paravirt was to have an API that is generic? This patchset seems to be mostly realizing Xen specific functionality? How does the code here interact with KVM, VMWare and other hypervisors?

For the most part, it doesn't disturb VMware or KVM. Xen does need some additional functionality in paravirt-ops because they took a different design choice - direct page tables instead of shadow page tables. This is where all the requirements for the new Xen paravirt-ops hooks come from.

Zach