Re: [Xen-devel] xensource (pci) device id's?

To: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xensource (pci) device id's?
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:25:21 +0000
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:25:05 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 1/2/07 15:45, "Gerd Hoffmann" <kraxel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Ok, how device IDs are allocated?  I'd like to use them to tag virtual
>> devices ...
>
> ... like this (see attached patch), handing out numbers 2-6 ...

Looks okay. The subvendor device id's can all be the same (e.g., 0x1, as I'm
not sure about validity of 0x0), since disambiguation amongst device types
is already provided by the main vendor/device id's. Then 0x5853/0x0001
becomes our default subvendor 'tag' for identifying Xen-emulated devices,
and we can reserve the right to bump the subvendor device id in future (0x2,
0x3, ...) for each device if some useful-for-guest-to-know aspect of the
device model changes in future (so we basically reserve the right to treat
it as a version number).

Sound reasonable?

 -- Keir