Re: [Xen-devel] What happens when turning off CONFIG_XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL?

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] What happens when turning off CONFIG_XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL?
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:37:16 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:37:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I think there were two reasons:
 1. To prevent accidental usage of serial ports before we added support to
Xen to disallow port accesses to UARTs that Xen is using.
 2. Xencons wants to have the ttyS major for itself, and I think the 8250
driver gets in earlier and grabs the major if it is compiled into the
kernel.

Reason (1) is obsolete. Reason (2) ought to be (we should move to xvc0 for
dom0 and domU before Xen-3.0.5).

Apart from that, yes it is safe to do away with CONFIG_XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL.

 -- Keir