Re: [Xen-devel] Hang in the creation of virtual machine on RHEL 5 - chan

To: "Patil, Ashwin Channabasavaraj" <Ashwin.Patil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Hang in the creation of virtual machine on RHEL 5 - changeset 13495: e2539ab3580a2539ab3580a
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:06:02 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 05:05:40 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 06:12:13PM +0530, Patil, Ashwin Channabasavaraj wrote:
> I am running on "Dell PC Model No: DHS"  running RHEL 5 snapshot 5
> (kernel-2.6.18-1.2910.el5)
>
> I built xen-unstable source using the changeset 13495. . Dom0 came up. I
> tried creating a file based Virtual Machine and tried running CentOS
> 4.3.
>
> The command "xm create -c master.cfg" where master.cfg is the
> configuration file gives an error
>
> Error: (22, 'Invalid argument') and hangs the system.

The 'Invalid argument' message normally means that the guest kernel you
are trying boot does not match the requirements of the host kernel. For
example, you tried to boot a non-PAE guest on a PAE host, or vica-verca.
RHEL-5 i686 Xen kernels are PAE enabled. I'm guessing the CentOS guest
you tried was based off the XenSource suplied kernels which I think are
built with PAE disabled.

On the second point - the host should never hang in the way you describe.
Since this is a pre-release of the RHEL-5 kernel, please report this hang
problem back to the Red Hat Bugzilla  (or via our partner support channels)
so that it can be investigated further.

Regards,
Dan.