Re: [Xen-devel] Slow Disk io

To: "James Rivera" <jrivera@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Slow Disk io
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:32:15 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 01:31:58 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I am getting very slow io speeds.  The disk rate is horrible. Is there a
>setting that needs to be changed or does Xen just have a slow disk rate?

What is your hardware setup and VM configuration?
And can you post the output of 'dmesg' from dom0?

(usually something like this means that you're not using DMA for disk
transfers, perhaps because your chipset wasn't correctly detected).

>My other question is could I have a poor network connection.  When I am
>copying a file across the network on my 1g nic, that should only take
>seconds, is taking 8mins.  I need some help.

This is odd.

Are you using paravirtualized (PV) or hardware-virtualized (HVM) guests?
For HVM guests the networking performance can be poor unless you install
the paravirtualizated networking drivers...

cheers,

S.