Re: [Xen-devel] Building broken with CS 13282

To: "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Building broken with CS 13282
From: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:25:15 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 00:23:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>If there are dependencies among the auto-generated headers then they need to
>be listed explicitly. Multiple dependencies listed in a single rule can be
>made in parallel.

No, that's not the case - each header can be built independently, since the
#include-s are being substituted before handing to the preprocessor (not the
compiler, hence incomplete definitions don't matter), and substituted back
afterwards.

John, in order to understand what's wrong on your end I'll need more than just
the failing compiler invocation, specifically all the commands run while
building in
xen/include (invoked from xen/Makefile:73). Since that's a series of $(MAKE)
invocations there, failure here should prevent making $(TARGET). Hence I
have to assume that something fails in the process of handling xen/include, but
doesn't indicate so through the process exit status (for that knowing what
actually got generated in xen/include/compat/ might also provide a clue).

Jan