Re: [Xen-devel] xc_domain_translate_gpfn_list vanished from unstable

To: Tomáš Kouba <tomas@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xc_domain_translate_gpfn_list vanished from unstable
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:35:40 +0000
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:35:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 7/1/07 5:27 pm, "Tomáš Kouba" <tomas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am sorry, I don't understand one thing: if the translated-guest
> addresses are always referenced by pseudo-physical address (or pfn?)
> then why the "xc_map_foreign_range" has its last parameter as mfn and
> not pfn?

xc_map_foreign_* functions all actually take 'gmfn' -- that is the
guest-apparent machine address. Paravirtualised guests usually see machine
addresses, so gmfn==mfn. HVM guests have the translation done for them by
the hypervisor, so they see gmfn==gpfn (guest pseudophysical frame number).
Function prototypes and comments in xenctrl.h have unfortuantely not been
updated to reflect this change.

 -- Keir