Re: [Xen-devel] xm list triggers shutdown refreshing

To: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm list triggers shutdown refreshing
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:36:30 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 04:36:30 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 07:30:42PM +0000, John Levon wrote:

> xm list -> XendDomain:list_sorted() -> XendDomain:list() ->
> XendDomain:_refresh() -> XendDomainInfo:update(refresh = True)
>
> Surely such non-modifying commands should not be altering state? Why
> aren't we passing in refresh = False in these cases?

Yes, you're right, we should.  There's a patch on its way.

> This is a nasty problem if (say) dumpCore fails: every time we try to xm
> list, then it will 'notice' that the domain is in the crashed state, try
> to dump core, fail and plop that error back to 'xm list'.

This is still a problem, regardless -- that function will be called every time
a domain starts or stops, so you will still get multiple attempts to dump
core.  Could you spin a patch to record the failure in the store, so that we
don't try and dump core again?

Ewan.