Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] XEN 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10: Dom0 reboot]

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] XEN 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10: Dom0 reboot]
From: PUCCETTI Armand <armand.puccetti@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:55:10 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 07:53:03 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser a écrit :
On 3/1/07 15:48, "PUCCETTI Armand" <armand.puccetti@xxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry for the err. Moving the option to the module line, as below,
leaves the trace unchanged.

It looks rather like it must be a bogus Linux kernel image then. Are you
sure it was built from the same repository as Xen, with reasonable kernel
config options (e.g., including the Xen console driver)? Something quite
simple must be wrong here.

 -- Keir

I have downloaded the source files of XEN 3.0.3-0 just the week after it was
made available, ie end october 2005. I had to change my Linux distro to ubuntu 6.10
because the former 6.06 LTS did not support a new replacement graphic card.
The (actual) kernel is 2.6.17.10. I checked the dependencies and compiled the sources with gcc 4.1 and the most recent version of the other modules required. That is done by the
script

$ make dist CC=gcc-4.1 verbose=y debug=y perfc=y debugger=y
$ make install CC=gcc-4.1 verbose=y debug=y perfc=y debugger=y

As the image crashed, the SATA drivers were suspected and I changed by hand the configuration file
in .../xen-3.0.3/linux-2.6.16.29-xen0/.config enabling the SATA options
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SVW=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_MV=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_NV=y

The other kernel options were unchanged. In the top Makefile I changed the variable

KERNELS ?= linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU

and patched panic.c (addition of the function __stack_chk_fail) as someone on the list indicated.

Afterwards, I added the boot options to enable the console during boot, through
the first serial port, as indicated in the manual. Nothing was recompiled.

Armand