[Xen-devel] Race with hotplug vif scripts

To: xen-devel <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Race with hotplug vif scripts
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:52:48 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:53:02 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

I have a domU running a custom HTTP client. As soon as the domain is
booted and the VIF running it wants to initiate a connection. However, I
seem to be having a race where the domU starts using the VIF before it
is completely functional, probably because the hotplug script has not
completed.

Currently I just set the frontend to '4', and just wait for the backend
state to also become '4' (connected), but this does not work in all
cases. How can I synchronize with the hotplug script, and what is the
correct sequence of XenBus states?

Thanks,
Jacob