[Xen-devel] Question about pciback.hide

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>, Aron Griffis <aron@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Question about pciback.hide
From: Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:42:06 +0900
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 23:46:14 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Why pciback do pciback_reset_device(dev) after pci_enable_device(dev),
when we use pciback.hide option?

In the case of ia64, pci_disable_device() free irq by calling free_irq_vector().
So the same irq is used by other device.
(currently we comment out free_irq_vector().)
Why must pciback determine a irq for a device which is not used?

static int __devinit pcistub_init_device(struct pci_dev *dev)
{
[snip...]

        /* HACK: Force device (& ACPI) to determine what IRQ it's on - we
         * must do this here because pcibios_enable_device may specify
         * the pci device's true irq (and possibly its other resources)
         * if they differ from what's in the configuration space.
         * This makes the assumption that the device's resources won't
         * change after this point (otherwise this code may break!)
         */
        dev_dbg(&dev->dev, "enabling device\n");
        err = pci_enable_device(dev);
        if (err)
                goto config_release;

        /* Now disable the device (this also ensures some private device
         * data is setup before we export)
         */
        dev_dbg(&dev->dev, "reset device\n");
        pciback_reset_device(dev);