Re: [Xen-devel] pciback

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pciback
From: "ron minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:20:15 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:20:12 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12/14/06, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How are you driving pciback? Xend-based toolstack in Linux dom0? Have you
got as far as trying to access the PCI device from your plan9 domU yet?

no, as I still don't quite understand the rules here.

What does 'driving pciback' mean in this case?

My guess on this sequence, from reading the drivers, was something like this:
1. pciback 'seizes' device
2. You can this this because the 'driver' symlink now reads 'pciback'
(has not happened)
2a. or because the 'slots' contains the bus:dev.fn of the device (HAS happened)
3. the device becomes visible in xenstore (has not happened)
4. Ok, now what? I assume I can enumerate the device via pcifront. But
my reading of the pcifront code is as follows: pcifront walks the
xenstore, finds the device via bus:dev.fn, and does config space ops
on it. But, is this really correct? I never see the device in the
xenstore.

Another thing I tried was having Plan 9 do an HYPERVISOR iopl, but
this does not appear to have worked either.  I'm happy to post that
code is someone can tell me what I might be missing.

Thanks again!

ron