RE: [Xen-devel] Driver domain questions

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Driver domain questions
From: "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:13:39 -0500
Cc: Muli Ben-Yehuda <muli@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Ryan <hap9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:14:10 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark,

Thanks for the answers.

> What you really need in a lot of cases is some kind of IOMMU: the
guest
> won't
> be able to issue correct DMA requests because it is unaware of the
> underlying
> memory structure.  I'm not clear if it's possible on any particular
OSes
> implement this in software via a custom bus type (where the usual DMA
> mapping
> API would be used to translate phys->mach and create bounce buffers if
> necessary).

My query was w.r.t *not* having a hardware based IOMMU in the picture. I
realize that true isolation cannot be achieved without hardware IOMMU. I
was looking to see what it would take (amount of work, difficulty etc)
to give direct PCI access to HVM domains with just software.

Cheers,
Aravindh