Re: [Xen-devel] xm dump-core and analyzing

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm dump-core and analyzing
From: "David Pilger" <pilger.david@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:15:22 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dave Anderson <anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:15:14 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12/11/06, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The current format is an ancient, non-extensible and largely
unmaintained hack;

For the extensibility part, may I suggest that you turn
coredump_header.xch_nr_vcpus length into 16 bits and use the other 16
bits that left as an offset for a new header (PE style). I don't know
how old software will handle xch_nr_vcpus > 64K, as it always dumps
just the context for the first CPU.

But I understood that you are going to work on an ELF dump format...
good luck with that, it is surely needed!