[Xen-devel] Xen/AoE skb frag array incompatibility

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen/AoE skb frag array incompatibility
From: Tracy R Reed <treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:00:18 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:00:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Greetings, Xen developers!

I have been using AoE with Xen to great effect and I am very pleased with how the whole system has worked out. The two technologies really complement each other. I consider it the ultimate setup. Aside from the network switch (eventually to be remedied) my serving infrastructure has zero single points of failure.

However, this virtualization paradise has a flaw: There seems to be some sort of incompatibility in the way AoE uses the skb frag array in the latest version of AoE (6-40) and in the way Xen uses it. This causes new AoE block devices to fail to be accessible among potentially other problems.

Is anyone aware of this problem? It is not clear to me if it is a problem with Xen or if the fault lies in AoE. I have looked into it a bit but my kernel hacking talents are rather meager. Attached is a recent email from the AoE list discussing it. If you have any suggestions for the AoE folks they can be reached over at aoetools-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Tracy R Reed                  http://ultraviolet.org