Re: [Xen-devel] machine check support in HVM guests

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] machine check support in HVM guests
From: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:01:35 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:00:18 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Then we support one bank of MSRs, store writes to those (so the contents can
>be read back) but do not act on the writes? I never got the impression
>machine check setup was very complicated.

That may work, but doesn't have to.

(a) There might be (slightly broken) OS assumptions that a minimum number of
banks is available (since the banks serve different units within the CPU, this
isn't
too unlikely an assumption).

(b) There might (now or in the future) be bits within the registers that have
side
effects that OSes expect to happen.

So it'll have to be at least a little more complete than what you suggest (and
I think
it'll end up being not to far from a version as complete as would be reasonable
in
a virtualized environment). It's doable, certainly.

Jan