Re: [Xen-devel] CONFIG_XEN_COMPAT_030002 broken?

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] CONFIG_XEN_COMPAT_030002 broken?
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:35:18 +0100
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:35:28 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
> Kernel_pages_need_user_flag seems unnecessary. The one consumer of that flag
> could simply do 'flags |= kernel_page_user' unconditionally.

Yep, noticed that too meanwhile ;)

> Also, is it necessary to default to 3.0.2 behaviour?

I've started coding it that way before I found the final place for the
test, just to be sure it doesn't crash on pgtable ops before the test.
Defaulting to 3.0.3 behavior should work though as test happens early
enough.

> So far we have maintained the COMPAT code to be easily entirely strippable.
> So the change to pmd_bad() should either use kernel_page_user rather than
> _PAGE_USER, or its definition should be conditional on the COMPAT flag.

Both ways should have the same effect as kernel_page_user is defined to
0 for the non-compat case.

cheers,

  Gerd

--