Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch] for expanding the vbd devices

To: Hidetoshi Nishi <nishi.hidetoshi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch] for expanding the vbd devices
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:01:52 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:02:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13/11/06 5:35 am, "Hidetoshi Nishi" <nishi.hidetoshi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>  I think the extending the timer of device creation is needed for
>   expanding the vbd devices.
>  Because I tested the patch upto 120 device, I had that the domain
>  could not create caused by the timer of domain create expired.
>  Then we need the change of extending the timer.
>
>   And I think it is better to add the logic of displaying the
>   progress of domain creating like as sand clock, because user
>   confuse that the sequence of creating is working or not.
>   But I have no action about this.

Without something like that no user is going to wait 10 minutes for a domain
to be created. So extending the timeout that far is quite pointless.

It would be interesting to know *why* it takes 10 minutes to set up 120
backend devices. I know there are quite a few steps involved but that is
very slow. Perhaps someone could profile the system?

 -- Keir